Saturday, December 11, 2010

Re: Setting up ClearCase with Quality Center


Posts: 16
Registered: Sep 29, 2010 12:34:45 PM Setting up ClearCase with Quality Center
Posted: Dec 08, 2010 11:06:28 AM We have 7.1.1.2 of ClearCase and 9.2 of Quality center. I need to add the versioning and trying to follow the steps and one of the first ones is:

Add TDUser and TDVersion as string attributes to the ClearCase VOB

I'm new to CC so I need to respectfully request that you dont go over my head with any answers :)

How do you add these as attributes?

Has anyone set this up before? I have been reading like crazy and all I have to show for it so far is a headache. This forum has been so much more helpful then any documentation I have found. So thank you all for that!

-Kapman
Quality - it's a lifestyle not an option.


Posts: 16
Registered: Sep 29, 2010 12:34:45 PM Let me add one more if I may:
You must run this installation with the same user name that was used to run
the Quality Center installation.

I was not here when they did the QC installation, how can I tell what the user name used was?

-Kapman
Quality - it's a lifestyle not an option.


Posts: 481
Registered: Apr 08, 2008 11:40:52 PM Re the user name...

Does the install run on Windows? My guess is that they didn't ask for userid that ran the installation but rather the userid assigned during the installation to own the QC services etc.

If is just the userid that ran the install then this will probably be the owner of the files it installed. So just do properties on files in the appropriate C:\Program Files\... directory

If it is the "owning" user id it probably creates a service and sets it to run as some userid. Take a look in Services and do a properties - look at the Log On tab.

Re the attributes...

Is that exactly what it says about the attributes? There are several options that could apply. In general there are two ways:
1. Command line:
Usually you would change directory into a directory inside the vob. Assuming you are on windows with a view called dynamic and a vob called \hpqc...M:cd \dynamichpqccleartool mkattype -vtype string -c "For Quality Center" TDUser
2. Gui:
Start IBM Rational ClearCase/Type Explorer
Select your Vob
Double click Attribute Types
Right click on the page and select "Create..."
Follow the dialog
Posts: 16
Registered: Sep 29, 2010 12:34:45 PM Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Page 12 of http://update.external.hp.com/qualitycenter/qc90/version_control/rcc_vc/qc_9_2/VCRCC.pdf is what I'm looking at for this. It is HP's Rational ClearCase Version Control Add-in Guide. Maybe I'm misreading something. Cant hurt to create a "string" attribute type I would think so I will give that a shot.

I've been given the opportunity to admin ClearCase with about 6 hours training and no prior experience. It has been a fun ride to say the least the last couple of months. Nothing has been easy per say and top that off with CC is a side project from my regualar QA work. Reading this site has been so much more help then any of the documentation I have been reading.

I hadn't used command lines since my old 8088 dos no windows 640k 20mb hd pc died but seems like alot of CC work is done via command lines. Good times!

-Kapman
Quality - it's a lifestyle not an option.


Posts: 16
Registered: Sep 29, 2010 12:34:45 PM Ok so I think I needed to just create two string attributes under the VOB, I did this via the Type Explorer. That seems to make sense, not quite what you had me doing I dont think but it helped me find that.

Now to figure out the user issue.

-Kapman
Quality - it's a lifestyle not an option.

Help

Use the search field to find all types of content in My developerWorks with that tag.

Use the slider bar to see more or fewer tags.

Popular tags shows the top tags for this particular type of content or application that you're viewing.

My tags shows your tags for this particular type of content or application that you're viewing.

Use the search field to find all types of content in My developerWorks with that tag. Use the slider bar to see more or fewer tags. Popular tags shows the top tags for this particular type of content or application that you're viewing. My tags shows your tags for this particular type of content or application that you're viewing.MoreLess 
Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment